Saturday, April 14, 2012

Unlimited voice, text, and a ton of data for less

I have been an AT&T customer since I got my first iPhone late in 2009. I have been paying a $100+ bill every month. I like having unlimited talk (and not just mobile to mobile).

Sadly, my iPhone is locked and jailed. But I still searched for ways to lower my bill.
Go here: http://goredpocket.com

I now have a prepaid account with auto-refill every month. The cost is $60. No additional fees. I have unlimited talk, text, and 2 GB of data. This is half the price of what I used to pay.

NOTE: Auto refill didn't work the first time for me. That wass sad, but I was out phone service for one morning until I noticed and re-ordered. Beware the auto-refill! After this happened, I attempted to re-enable auto-refill one month later just at renewal time. Now 2 months have passed since auto-refill first failed, and this time around auto-refill worked properly. Hopefully it will keep working.

I have a locked iPhone that is working fine on Red Pocket as they are an AT&T MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator).

Before:
Unlimited voice
200 texts
3GB data
~$120

Now:
Unlimited voice
Unlimited texts
2GB data
$60

Unbelievable. Been using Red Pocket for almost 2 months, and it is providing me the same reception as AT&T (as they are using the AT&T network).

The caveats are:
Bad customer support, takes forever to get a hold of a CSR (Customer Support Representative)
No visual voicemail (iPhone voicemail button now calls voicemail instead of displaying it)
No MMS (Group messages will still work if you disable MMS in the iPhone options)

Saving $50+ a month is worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Re: Visual voicemail - I use Google Voice for that. It takes a bit of getting used to, and there are issues with international texting, but generally speaking it's worth it. The main caveat is you can't always port your number.

    Re: 2GB data - is it crazy fast (what they call 4G, even though I think someone mentioned it isn't really)? I was planning on looking into what you just did (in a few months, when my contract expires), but I don't think I'll be able to give up crazy fast mobile data.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have 4G on my iPhone. For 3G, it is fine (except that AT&T has crummy coverage in Silicon Valley). It's as good as it was IMO.

    ReplyDelete