Tuesday, April 14, 2009

the sheet drying hook up

I washed my sheets and I don't have a dryer. So where do I find enough space to hang sheets, It's a fitted sheet and a flat sheet and a pillowcase. Hmm. OK so normally I use 2 chairs for the fitted sheet and with the chairs pushed far enough away from each other and the sheet pulled around the chairs properly the fitted sheet dries and doesn't hit the floor. This worked fine. But the flat sheet usually goes on my laundry rack which, due to bad planning, was filled with other drying laundry. I will now outline the steps I took to find a solution.

I spent many minutes walking around my house looking for where to hang a double bed flat sheet. I couldn't find anything. Some might have given up by this time, but not me. I continued to analyze the situation. I decided that what was needed was a long string and place to hang the string. I don't own string, but I do have a 50 foot ethernet cable. That seemed like a great start. Now where do you hang ethernet cable from?

My computer room has 2 large closets with doors that open, and doors that open naturally have hinges. Voila! I have the first place for my cable to hang from - a hinge on a closet. The hinge idea got me looking around for other hinges and with ease I spotted the door to my computer room, another hinged item! This made for a perfect solution for where to hang the cable from.



So I wired the cable across the two hinges. But now I have to keep the cable from falling. On the side of the closet the tight space between the closet door and the closet itself hold the cable tight. On the side of the door it wasn't so tight, and the cable kept falling. In order to prevent this I tied the extra cable around the doorknow relying on it's staying power. This had a knot-like effect in keeping the cable high and steady.




So I hung the sheet on the cable - first time I hung it with those little pincher type things but it wasn't high enough for that. Hmm... But then I suddenly knew what I could do; I could fold the sheet over the cable and still get a great drying effect without the dirtying and no pincher thingies. This was brilliant.

All in all this was a very satisfying conclusion to a most difficult situation. The 24 hour laundromat down the street would have been a lot less satisfying.

Wishing everyone great solutions to everyday problems.

1 comment:

  1. Get two routers, wall-mount them on opposite sides of your living room. Then you'll have the perfect place to connect a really long ethernet cable. (If it's too long I'm sure you can steal a crimper from work)

    ReplyDelete