Thursday, June 23, 2011

alternate solution to x220t microphone problem

This solves the broken microphone issue on the x220t. When it is not working, try these steps, and let me know if it solves the problem for you as it does for me. I am using the latest Conexant driver from Lenovo version 8.32.23.0.

Open the registry.
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Settings

(If you don't have this key, then it might be different on your system. Search for "AppsUpdates" to try to locate the correct path.)

Under Plugins\Capture\LFX, rename the key {70306ef0-7851-11dc-8314-0800200c9a66} to {70306ef0-7851-11dc-8314-0800200c9a66}.old

Under OEM, rename AppsUpdates to AppsUpdates.old, Flags2 to Flags2.old, and Flags3 to Flags3.old

Reboot

The Flags2 and Flags3 keys cause AppsUpdates to be created with this value: F8 00 0C 00. This value causes some of the input and output devices to be hidden.

The Plugin that I am commenting out is related to ForteMedia.

I am guessing that the Flags2 and Flags3 options were created to be compatible with ForteMedia. I am guessing again that the device that remains is either the wrong one, or ForteMedia is causing it to crash.

Hope this enlightens someone who can actually fix the Conexant driver....

10 comments:

  1. Hi, question about the Conexant driver: do you know if there's a way to enable stereo mix on the X220t so I can record the sounds that my computer makes? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! First of all, thanks for sharing!

    I made the changes you suggested above, I see new devices.

    Playback:
    - Headphones (Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD) Not plugged in
    Recording:
    - Docking Microphone (Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD) Not plugged in
    - External Microphone (Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD) Not plugged in
    If I click on them, it says Device usage: Use this device (enable)

    I still can't record sound, use skype, etc..

    Am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Does your mic work at all? The solution I posted was for a specific issue which plagued me. It caused the mic to barely pick up sound. But it did appear in the system, and Skype could use it. If your mic doesn't appear in the system then you are having a different issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It works nicely. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, worked perfect. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Didn't think I had the Tech knowledge to make this work, but it worked like a charm. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Works wonderfully! I had this problem in a dozen of Thinkpad X1 laptops. After having searched half the Internet for a solution and having Lenovo's helpdesk telling me to do a full reinstall, I'm awed by the whole ride.
    I'm sure my head will stop spinning soon. How in the World did you decipher this?
    Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of persistence... Many disables and enables of the device. If only Lenovo and Fort Media could be convinced to fix the drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete